Looking for an easy dinner recipe? Do yourself a favor, and make this.
Easy, delicious chicken and rice from one of my favorite dudes, Mark Bittman.
I made a few changes:
- I caramelized the onion, instead of just softening it. This takes a little longer, but it was worth it.
- I added a package of crimini mushrooms, that I halved then sliced, to the cooked onions.
- I stirred in a few cloves of minced garlic after the mushrooms had cooked through.
- I defrosted a bag of Trader Joe’s frozen artichoke hearts in the microwave, sliced the bigger ones in half and added those right before I stirred in the rice.
- I topped our bowls with a squeeze of lemon juice, parsley and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. It would have been a little bland without these additions.
Go forth and make chicken and rice. Seriously.
Edited to add: this is a different version of the recipe I used last night. Instead of a whole chicken cut into pieces, I used three breasts, chopped into bite-size chunks.